Wednesday, March 05, 2008

RSV shot

Mason had his second RSV shot on Monday. It was nearly an act of Congress to get this all set up for him. The NICU gave him his first dose and said a specific clinic would administer the next two. But shortly after leaving the NICU we got a call from them stating my insurance doesn't do business with that specific clinic so I needed to contact my insurance company to find out what needed to be done. OK...anyone whose tried to get something accomplished through an insurance company knows it's not easy. I called the insurance company who gave me a number to another company that distributes the Synagis (that's the name of the medication that's given). I call them and have to leave a message. For two days no one calls back so I call again and get to speak to someone. She explains that I need to call the NICU and get them to fax all Mason's paperwork to them to justify that he 'needs' this shot. So I call the NICU and explain it to them and they kindly send the paperwork. Then the other company calls me back to say it's approved. I give them the info for the pediatrician so they can send it there. Two days later I call the pediatrician's office. They have no idea what I'm talking about and haven't received any info. So I call the company back and they tell me that the county health department will administer it at my home. I'm so confused. Then I ask if I can just have it sent to the pediatrician's office so they can do it and they say yes. HELLO...didn't I already do this. Ugh. Two days later the pediatrician's office calls to say it's all set up and to come in on Monday.

Thankfully it's all taken care of and he's safe from RSV for another 30 days. I hope I don't have to do all that again for his April shot.

Anyway...his weight was 7 lbs 3.5 oz. YAY! He's newborn size.

No comments: