Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Big Boy

Mason had his four month checkup last Thursday. He's on the charts for weight, length and head circumference (insert applause here).

12lbs 3oz
23in

The doctor asked just a few questions...does he smile at you, does he laugh, can he roll over. Yes, yes, no. He said not to worry about any missed milestones. Our doctor doesn't track Mason's progress based on his adjusted age (due date until now). He said he's doing just fine.

We talked about switching to formula at 6 months. The doctor said he'll need Neosure. If you don't know what that is, be thankful...because it costs about $35 for a small can! He was on this when we left the NICU for weight gain purposes but didn't stay on it for long before I switched to nursing. Anyway, I figured I better try giving him some formula a little at a time just to see if his tummy will handle it. He had so many digestive issues (colic, no BM's for days, reflux) in the last 4 months that I just wanted to be sure. So yesterday I mixed in one scoop into his regular bottle. He gulped down an ounce before figuring out it was different. Then he pushed the bottle out with his tongue and refused it. About 10 minutes later we tried again, he took one big swig and SCREAMED at me...something that would probably translate to:

'Hey lady, what in the H-E-double hockey sticks do you think you're doing messing with my food! This isn't what I ordered. Now give me the good stuff before I go postal on you!'

Of course I have no idea now how we're going to switch him to formula. I guess I'll just have to make it a slow transition. Any advice would be greatly appreciated here.

1 comment:

The Pirsein Family said...

Just keep trying mixing 1/2 & 1/2 or start out 3/4 & 1/4. Even though he's refusing it keep trying. We struggled forever trying to find the right formula for Talon and went through a lot of what you guys are going through. Don't worry about milestones, Talon was a month early and late on most of his. So be patient, the little guy will probably like to take his time!! Good luck!